Welcome to Functional Skills
To ensure all learners on our apprenticeship programmes have the maths and English skills that they require, to progress towards their qualification and to function effectively in the workplace.
Having the appropriate level of maths and English is a requirement. This is part of the Government strategy to ensure all employees have the skills they need to progress effectively in the workplace.
This is achieved through the following objectives:
· To enable confidence, effectiveness and independence both at work and everyday life.
· To deliver engaging taught sessions, with effective use of resources and group activities.
· To promote independent learning using a variety of online resources.
· To link learning to the requirements of the workplace.
· To embed IT activities into maths and English sessions, to improve learner’s IT skills.
· All Apprentices on a level 2 programme will achieve a level 1 qualification in Functional Skills Maths and English; if they do not have an equivalent qualification already.
· All Apprentices on a level 3 programme will achieve a level 2 qualification in Functional Skills Maths and English; if they do not have an equivalent qualification already.
· All learners with a level 1 Functional Skills Maths and English, will have the opportunity to progress towards a level 2 qualification.
Functional Skills Assessments
2-hour Online assessments for level 1 and level 2 maths. The assessments are divided into two parts; part 1 is a 30-minute assessment without the use of a calculator, part 2 is a 90 minute assessment with the use of a calculator allowed. The assessment is pass or fail with no grades.
For level 1 and 2 there are 3 separate assessments. All must be passed to achieve the English qualification.
Reading – 1-hour online assessment
Writing – 1-hour online assessment
Speaking, Listening and Communication – 30 minute practical assessment carried out with groups of 3 to 5 candidates